The benefits of both digital retinal photography and ocular coherence tomography are huge and we strongly recommend you include them in your eye examination. There is an additional charge for these services but the benefits are clear.
Digital Retinal Photography
Takes a photograph of your retina similar to the one shown, enabling us to provide:
- A more accurate and detailed inspection of your eye showing the important central area of your retina.
- Using this technology the picture is stored on the computer to enable us to look for changes and compare images from one visit to the next.
- It enables you to see what the optometrist sees through the ophthalmoscope.
- If it is necessary for you to be referred to an eye specialist the picture can be sent with your referral for an initial assessment.
Ocular Coherence Tomography (OCT)
This instrument enables us to see beneath the surface of your retina.
- OCT provides a three dimensional cross sectional scan of your retina very similar to ultrasound. OCT uses light rather than sound waves to illustrate the different layers that make up your retina. The scan is non-invasive, painless, simple and quick.
- OCT offers highly advanced screening for glaucoma, diabetes, age related macular degeneration, vitreous detachments and more.
- Again, the images are stored on the computer for comparison from one visit to the next.